I’m in! Which MBA Program Should I Accept?
Posted by Jay Mixter in MBA
Hmm Slytherin? Gryffindor?
All your hard work has paid off, you’re in! You have been accepted at multiple schools and now you need to decide where you will go next year. This decision will influence your success and happiness in the program and likely, your future. Here is a practical framework of the 4 major themes to consider.
- Inter-Departmental Study Opportunities
- Available Electives to tailor your coursework
- Concentrations in relevant Industries or Disciplines
- Hands-on Experience through External Projects
- Mix of Case Study, Lecture and Field Work
- Applied vs. Theoretical Orientation
- Internships & Work/Study Programs
- Entrepreneurship programs and support
- Global Focus and Study Abroad opportunities
- Leadership Development programming
- Professors as “Thought Leaders” in your Field
- Alumni Network engagement
- Strength of the MBA Program Brand in your target industry
- Presence of alumni at Target Employers
- Consulting Projects with important industry players
- Visiting Professors and engaged outside organizations
- Accessibility of Alumni
- Number of placements in Your Industry
- Starting Salaries
- Job Placement Statistics
Culture & Values
- Commitment to and engagement with Non-Profits and Social Causes
- Strong sense of “Community”
- Clubs and Activities of interest
- International Mix
- Gender Mix and support for diversity
- Concentration of businesses in your Target Industry
- Proximity to potential Target Employers
- Urban / Rural Campus Setting
- Are you Energized?
- Will you be Successful?
- Will you Fit In?
- Do you like the People?
Time & Cost
- Academic Year vs. Year-Round study
- 2-Year vs. Accelerated programs
- Full-Time vs. Part-Time programs
- Tuition & Expenses
- Available Scholarships
- Loan Programs
Use this framework to compare your program options and decide which one come out on top. Every program offers valuable experiences so there is really no wrong answer – you’re in a great position!
Last Updated June 13, 2018 Jay Mixter